Staying at the Ranch? What to Bring.
In the summer time, our area is prone to being either foggy or extremely windy. During the winter, Swanton Pacific Ranch can get quite chilly and the trails are muddy. Many of our guests stay in the yurts, which are unheated with thin walls, so best to bring nice warm things for a nice night's sleep.
Bringing layers of clothing is recommended, no matter which season you visit.
- Sturdy work clothes (long pants are required for summer interns)
- Work boots (sturdy work boots are required for summer interns)
- Work gloves
- Hiking shoes with sturdy ankles and good grip
- Rubber boots are important for field work especially in the winter
- Hats - one for sun, one for wind
- Wind breaker
- Warm jacket
- Bath towels
- Warm bedding/sleeping bag - regular twin size beds
- Poison oak medicine - Technu (washes poison oak oil off, skin and clothes) and Zanfel (treats poison oak rash) are highly recommended
- Laundry soap
- Alarm with battery back-up
- Cell phone coverage is minimal on the ranch, but there are landlines for local calls.
Optional… Based on the recommendations of past interns and longer term residents
- Surf board
- Bathing suit
- Reading material