Swanton Pacific Ranch Special Project - Student Stipend Application
Thank you for your interest in Swanton Pacific Ranch's Special Projects student stipend funding opportunity, for Fall Quarter 2022
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Awards will be given on a first-come-first served basis for strong applications.
For each quarter in Academic Year 2022-2023, we are offering Cal Poly students fifteen $750 cash scholarships for post-fire forestry and related sustainable land use management projects at Swanton Pacific Ranch. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis; early application are encouraged. Faculty applications for students TBD are also encouraged.
Successful applicants will demonstrate strong faculty-student engagement, clear learning objectives, cross disciplinary skills, active work at Swanton Pacific Ranch for at least 3 weekends during the quarter, and a connection to sustainable land management of the school forest at Swanton Pacific Ranch. All awardees must attend an orientation meeting (virtual) as well as participate in an end-of-quarter symposium to present the results of their project.
While we will accept project applications of any sort, and we offer the following project areas prioritized by Swanton Pacific Ranch:
• Monitoring and analysis associated with ongoing forest health treatments
• Reestablishing Continuous Forest Inventory monitoring plots, data collection and analysis
• Assessment and analysis of hazard tree removal procedures
• Assessment and analysis of biomass disposal procedures
• Road and trail maintenance, monitoring, and analysis
• Post-fire hazard tree removal, monitoring, and analysis
• Wood milling implementation, monitoring, and analysis
• Reforestation implementation, monitoring, and analysis
• Planning and implementation: Livestock management of forest fuels
We can provide occasional housing, including kitchen facilities, as well as transportation support by reservation via state vehicles (some training required).
To apply, fill out the application here.